Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL cruises) is a cruise ship company, headquartered in Miami-Dade County, Florida. Norwegian Cruise Lines operations began in 1966 under Norwegian Caribbean Line name.
Norwegian Cruise Lines related articles include:
- NCL Roll Call
- NCL Cruise Rewards Program
- Norwegian Cruise Dining
- Norwegian Accommodation
- Norwegian Cruise Entertainment
- Norwegian Fitness and Norwegian Spa
Norwegian Cruises Reviews
Norwegian Cruise Lines was named by the World Travel Awards ”Europe’s Leading Cruise Line“. Norwegian Epic- Norwegian Cruise Lines most innovative and largest Freestyle Cruising ship, debuted in June 2010 and was named by readers of Travel Weekly ”Best Overall Cruise Ship” and “Best Ship for Sea Days“ by Cruise Critic.
- Norwegian Cruise Lines sister company is NCL America. NCL is owned by Apollo Management and Star Cruises (which is partially owned by Genting Group, headquartered in Malaysia)- both companies own 50% of NCL.
- NCL cruises controls nearly 8% of total cruise market’s worldwide share. Norwegian Cruise Lines was founded in 1966 as Norwegian Caribbean Line, by Ted Arison and Knut Kloster, with only one 830-ton cruise ship offering Caribbean cruises at low fares. Arison left soon and formed Carnival Cruise Lines. Kloster acquired additional cruise ships for Caribbean service.
- Norwegian Cruise Lines pioneered a lot of innovations in cruise industry: the first air-sea combined program (“Cloud 9 Cruises”), the first Out Island Cruise, the first ship line developing new ports in the Caribbean (Ocho Rios in Jamaica). Starward- NCL second ship, had capability to carry automobiles. This area was later turned into cabins, two deck movie theater (now a casino).
- Norwegian Cruise Lines rebuild the liner France in 1979 as a cruise ship and renamed her Norway. This conversion cost about $100 million USD. Norway was larger than any existing cruise ship, exploiting extra space by adding greater variety of onboard entertainment. Norway’s success paved the way for giant cruise ships’ new era of building. In May 2003, a boiler explosion forced Norwegian Cruise Lines to withdraw Norway from service.
- Norwegian Cruise Lines expanded to other parts of world - Alaska, Bermuda, Europe, and Hawaii. In the period between 1997 and 2001, NCL cruises operated under the name Norwegian Capricorn Line with cruises out of Australia.
- In 1998 was acquired Orient Lines – its subsidiary, founded in 1991 to run Marco Polo. Norwegian Cruise Lines was acquired by Star Cruises – subsidiary of Genting Group, based in Malaysia, in 2000. In 2003 NCL cruises company announced purchase of American-flagged famed liners SS Independence and SS United States for use on NCL America brand.
- In July 2007 fiscal report, Norwegian Cruise Lines noted the sale of Independence, already renamed SS Oceanic. Star Cruises sold 50% of NCL in August 2007 for $1 billion to Apollo Management (owning Oceania Cruises). NCL America brand stays under Star Cruises ownership for sixteen months – a decision is going to be made to liquidate brand or continue operations and make the brand profitable.
- Norwegian Wind was transferred to Star Cruises in January 2007, becoming Super Star Aquarius. Norwegian Cruise Line reported in February 2008 that Pride of Aloha (NCL America ship) would be in May withdrawn from service. Later, it was announced that the vessel would return to NCL fleet as Norwegian Sky, while Norwegian Dream and Norwegian Majesty would be sold to Louis Cruise Lines. Subsequently the sale of Norwegian Dream was cancelled. In September 2012 it was announced that Norwegian Dream would become Superstar Gemini for Star Cruises.
- On October 25, 2010, an agreement was reached for construction of two new vessels, for delivery in Spring 2013 and 2014. The vessels were named Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway – the largest built in Germany. Each ship has capacity of 4,000 passengers. The contract price reached €1.2 billion.
- A second agreement was reached on October 17, 2012, for the construction of one, possible two new cruise ships, for delivery respectfully in October 2015 and 2017. The code name of the project is “Breakaway Plus Class”. It is expected for NCL new ships to hold 4,200 passengers and be 163,000 tons.
Norwegian Cruise Lines Deals
Norwegian Cruise Lines concept for regularly scheduled from the port of Miami Caribbean cruises offering friendly service and good food, established NCL cruises as a winner cruise company for active families and adults.
High-energy entertainment, emphasis on fitness programs and top-quality – Norwegian Cruise Lines combines action, activities and dining options in casual and free-flowing atmosphere. The end of dress codes and rigid dining schedules came with Freestyle cruising.
NCL ships offer flexible dining options and passengers can eat in any of à la carte and specialty restaurants or the main dining rooms at any time with whom they please. Co-owned by Apollo Management and Genting Hong Kong Limited, today Norwegian Cruise Lines continues to be cruise industry innovator.
- What about entertainment onboard NCL cruises?
Main show lounges present Las Vegas-style revues by dancers and singers. Other performers include jugglers, comedians, acrobats, magicians. Passengers can get into act while taking part in organized talent shows or step up to karaoke. Each of NCL cruise ships has a lively disco; live bands play for listening and dancing in smaller lounges.
Some ships offer shows by Chicago’s Second City comedy company, famous all over the world for its improvisations. Cirque Productions and Blue Man Group join NCL talent line-up in 2010 with the launch of Norwegian Epic. Bingo sessions, casinos, and art auctions are also well attended. Competitive adult games are fun to participate- they also provide laughs for audience.
Most cruise ships look similar from a distance, and it is difficult to tell them apart. Norwegian Cruise Lines modern largest ships stand out with distinctive use of hull art. Norwegian Cruise Lines new ships are distinguished by murals that extend from bow to midship.
While other cruise companies scoffed at winter cruises to Bahamas, Caribbean, Florida from New York City, Norwegian Cruise Lines sailed with success! Winter Weather Guarantee was offered by NCL cruises if foul weather threatens to spoil cruisers’ vacation plans. When departures from New York are delayed for more than twelve hours, vacationers receive onboard credit of $100 per person on current departures. If they decide to cancel the cruise, they receive cruise credit equal to paid amount to use on future NCL cruises within a year.
Norwegian Cruise Lines extended ‘Upgrade Wave’ deal to March 31, 2013, offering for all 2013 cruises free balcony upgrades to all destinations on sailings that are three days or longer. This promotion includes e-coupons worth more than $300 (for on-board purchases) and reduced deposits at time of booking. Also good through March 31, 2013 is another deal, offering 50 % discount on children’s cruise fares to Europe (for kids 17 and under).
- Norwegian Cruise Lines Chef’s Table
Norwegian Cruise Lines intimate two-and-a-half hour dining gourmet experience. Cover charge – US $ 75 per person, which includes: Accompanied by wines nine-course menu; champagne reception with ship’s Food & Beverage Director, Executive Chef, Restaurant Manager, Head Wine Steward and Assistant Maître d’Hotel; group and individual photo with the Executive Chef; behind-the-scenes galley tour. Chef’s Table is limited to twelve guests, offered once per each cruise. Chef’s Table can be booked on-board by passengers.
- Norwegian Breakaway - 2013; Norwegian Dawn – 2002
- Norwegian Epic - 2010; Norwegian Gem – 2007
- Norwegian Getaway; Norwegian Jade – 2006
- Norwegian Jewel – 2005; Norwegian Pearl – 2006
- Norwegian Sky - 1999; Norwegian Spirit – 1998
- Norwegian Star – 2001; Norwegian Sun – 2001
- Pride of America – 2005
Norwegian Cruise Lines Destinations
NCL destinations include Africa, Alaska, Baltic, Canada, Canary Islands, Caribbean, Europe, Hawaii, Mediterranean, North America, Northern Europe, Panama Canal, South America, Transatlantic.
Norwegian Cruise Lines is best known for Freestyle Cruising concept - this means there are no seating arrangements or set times for meals, formal attire is not required. Norwegian Cruise Lines innovations in cruising have become standard throughout cruise ship industry. Take a chance and book your Norwegian Cruise Lines vacation. Happy sailing!